UPDATE: Developers are set to resume construction at the Alta Vista site in Lehi, Utah, following a devastating fire that engulfed multiple structures earlier this month. The inferno broke out on November 9, shocking nearby residents and destroying plans for over 300 multifamily housing units.
Just after 10 a.m. on that Friday morning, locals witnessed a terrifying scene as flames erupted and smoke billowed into the sky. “Well, my daughter screamed at me, ‘Mom, look out the window!’” said resident Juli Beckwith. “I look out the window, and I see towering piles of smoke, and I can see the flames above the house in front of us. It was really scary.”
In a statement, developer Wood Partners announced they will restart construction once the damage is fully assessed and investigations are completed. The ongoing inquiry into the fire’s cause remains open, with Lehi Fire Chief Jeremy Craft confirming, “We know where the fire started, but we don’t know how the fire started.” Officials have not ruled out arson, leading to heightened concerns among residents.
“I still feel that there could have been, not knowing what the cause is, that it could have been safer,” said Matthew Beckwith, another nearby resident. “Once they find the cause, the root cause, then they can address resolution, but until that, it’s just a mystery.”
Lehi Fire Department investigators completed their on-site review last week and have indicated the property will soon be returned to its owners. Despite the ongoing investigation, Wood Partners is committed to moving forward, stating, “We intend to resume construction on the 304-unit multifamily development as soon as we can, following completion of the investigation and clearing of the damage on the site.”
As the community grapples with the aftermath of the blaze, the urgency to understand the fire’s cause grows. Investigators from multiple agencies, including the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), have been involved, leaving residents anxious about safety and future developments.
The fire has not only disrupted construction plans but has also raised alarms about fire safety protocols in the area. Residents are left waiting for answers, hoping the investigation will shed light on what led to such a catastrophic event.
As developments unfold, the situation remains fluid. Residents and developers alike are closely monitoring updates, eager for clarity and a return to normalcy. Stay tuned for further information on this urgent situation as it develops.
